Friday, May 5, 2023

Our New Skoolie Adventure



Last month, April '23, Joseph brought home a school bus.  It was a surprise, and one I didn't notice for several days.  There is an ever revolving roster of vehicles here that they're working on in the shop... tractors, trailers, manure spreaders, dump trucks, etc., so a bus didn't stand out immediately.  In all honesty, I wasn't pleased when I first realized it.  Though it's the sort of thing that's right up my alley, having a great love of good adventures, and a bit of hippy in me, I felt the timing could have been better.  Both of us have plates that are overflowing, jobs that are unfinished on the homestead, and we have differing opinions on debt.  But, after a couple of days, my excitement won out, and now I'm fully on board.  



So, let's tell you a little about the bus.  It's a '98 Thomas MVP, with a 3126 Caterpillar engine, and a 4 speed automatic transmission.  The engine is in the rear, so it is a "pusher".  The bus is 32' long.  It has 177,000 miles on it, runs on diesel, and is in good mechanical shape, except for some minor issues.




I love seeing all the signs of the previous students, like their assigned seats.




Our plan is to create a comfortable living space for the two of us and our dogs, so we can see more of this beautiful country.  For those new to this concept, they're frequently called skoolies, when turned into living quarters.



We expect it may take a couple of years before the bus is far enough along to travel in.  We plan to finish it as frugally as possible, and have already found some good deals.  We're making slow but steady progress.  I'll share about both of these in the next post.  Thanks for coming along for the ride.  The adventure begins!


11 comments:

daisy g said...

Oh, I didn't realize it was a BIIIIIIIG bus! So cool! I can't wait to see what y'all do with it. I'm a flower child too (though born just a bit too late) and so I totally understand your vibe.

“Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

Laurie said...

I was a little young too, but remember on one of our upstate NY summer vacations (our grandparents took us to the Catskills each year), we did a day trip to Woodstock, a year or two later, around when I was ten. Maybe I got some by osmosis :o). I love that Dr. Seuss quote!

Staci @Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

I can imagine it's a big undertaking and a bit overwhelming but something to really look forward to. So excited for you both!

You said in the comment above you used to visit the Catskills. We are north of that but used to visit Catskill Game Farm and Woodstock Animal Sanctuary. Unfortunately, the sanctuary moved further south and the game farm closed (it's now a "boutique" hotel....) but it's a beautiful area.

Looking forward to the posts!

Barbara Rogers said...

Such a wonderful adventure. I see remodelled vans and busses on the Treehugger newsletter...never know when they'll turn up, but some good ideas. And YouTube apparently has quite a camper following - you'll not be quite an RV, but that site might have interesting ideas too. I follow a blogger who lives year round in his RV...a smallish Mercedes Winnebego combo...with his cat. You can see his link at "Beans and I on the Loose."

Laurie said...

Staci, the Catskills Game Farm sounds familiar. Lord, it seems lifetimes ago at this point! I seem to remember we were not too far from Margaretville, as that was my grandmother's name.

We've had fun watching lots of skoolie videos on Youtube, Barbara. I'll check out the one you mentioned.

daisy g said...

What's the Treehugger Newsletter? I think I need to be on that list! ;0D

Laurie said...

Yes, I guess I missed that part, Daisy. It looks like Treehugger.com has a newsletter you can sign up for. It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing that, Barbara!

BLD in MT said...

That was one of my teenage dreams! Excellent. I can't wait to follow along as you embark on this fun (and certain to be educational) adventure!

Laurie said...

April, I'm just now seeing this about your school bus playhouse. How fun!

I'm excited about all the places we'll go, the beauty, and all we'll learn!

Upriverdavid said...

Beans sent me to see your Bus Business...Cool!
I have a 30' Winnebago that my late wife and I put 60,000 miles on, lots of fun.
You will enjoy building it and exploring, knowing where everything is and how it works.
I'm still wandering around and "Lucy" has 125,000 on her clock today.
I still mostly live in a house and just take off when I get ants in my pants or itchy feet.
Have Fun!
Upriverdavid

Laurie said...

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Upriverdavid! It's sure to be an adventure.