Monday, May 29, 2023

Cooler Days



Hello, friends.  Last week, I dried organic lemon zest and made some lemon pepper blend.  It's a blend I rarely used in the past, but is in Brandy's black bean burgers, and I make those fairly often.  I planted seeds of dill, cucumbers, calendula and zinnias in pots, all of which I seed saved, and J planted tromboncino and zucchini seeds in the garden.  Carrots were replanted in missing spots in the garden, and two types of cilantro seeds were planted.  Around the SoulSeeds shop, evening primrose seedlings, nasturtium, dwarf sunflower and wildflower mix seeds were planted.  



A cluster of blackberry and blueberry bushes, and asparagus that were being nibbled regularly were sprayed with deer repellent.  Oregano was harvested and dried.  Kale was harvested for a salad.  Peas and lambs quarter were harvested, and one or two asparagus.  Their season is sadly winding down.  I shopped at Harris Teeter.  No great deals, though I got a nice sized watermelon for $3.99, and a 5% senior discount off the total.  At Food Lion, cherries were on sale for $2.99/#, and I found more lentils at Dollar Tree.  Over the weekend, I canned up some more of the lentils.  I had thought I'd instead can my first try at baked beans, but hadn't let the beans soak overnight, so will plan to do those on Monday.



Another round of lettuce seed was planted in the garden.  This time, Salad Bowl, Sweet Valentine romaine, and Thai oakleaf.  Joseph tilled up another row, and planted it with tomato seedlings.  On Sunday, I made a fruit salad to bring to brunch with friends.  We brought eggs to share, and some soap.  She also has a restricted diet, and made the most wonderful meal for us to share, which was so appreciated.  We've had the woodstove going again., so I put another pot of sweet potatoes on to simmer.  We're enjoying this cooler than usual spring.  The extended forecast is apparently calling for a cooler and wetter summer here, which works for us.  The down side to that could be tomato blight.  Heat loving plants, such as melons, peppers and sweet potatoes may not thrive, but we'll see what the coming months have in store for us.  Take care of yourselves.  


6 comments:

daisy g said...

Yes, haven't the cooler days been marvelous? We actually had the heat on briefly yesterday when it was so cold and damp outside. What a gift that rain was!

Sounds like you are doing a fair bit of planting. I need to do that this week. The beans that I have been planting over the last few weeks are jumping out of containers and ready to go in their final growing space.

Have a wonderful week, my friend!

Laurie said...

So thankful for cool and rainy days! I saw this morning that the cucumbers I planted in pots are coming up. Hoping to thwart those pill bugs! Enjoy your week!

Staci D said...

That's wonderful that you're receiving some cooler days. And all of the planting! Our last frost was last week. I'd already had my tomatoes and peppers in but thankfully saved them with row covers. Now the growing of all the stuff can really begin. It's hard to believe that June arrives this week!

Wishing you a great week!!

Laurie said...

I'm so glad your tomatoes and peppers made it through! I'm with you on the days flying by. I was planning something with a friend yesterday, a cool and rainy day, and was shocked that July was just a few weeks away!

Jeannie said...

I love the cooler weather! The "experts" say it is caused by the ash in the atmosphere shading the planet from all of the different volcanos erupting around the world. "They," say it takes a few years for it to clear up. Fine with me!

You are planting lettuce this late??? Are the varieties hot weather?

Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Yes, I usually try doing some succession planting of lettuce, which works better some years than others. They are all hot weather/slow to bolt varieties.