Monday, December 6, 2021

Early December Days

Hello, friends.  Last week, I hung laundry on the line two days.  I tried a couple of new recipes.  The first used our kale in a quinoa salad, with dried cranberries and walnuts, which was very good, even better leftover.  I changed up the dressing, using less oil, and using lemon juice in place of the ACV.  I also tried a new burger recipe, which used lentils and oats, which was also good, and helped use up some of the lentils that need using.  Oregano was harvested and dried, for those winter nights when it's already dark, and I don't want to go outside when a recipe calls for oregano.  I dehydrated a batch of sweet potatoes that had been chewed on.  We had tried eating some of the larger ones, but they were bland tasting, so I decided to use them for dog treats.  My soap business has been quite busy, for which I'm so thankful.



One night last week, we ran out of rainwater, which is the first time that's happened in more than two years.  Though we had a couple of good rains in September and early October, it obviously hasn't kept up with household use, which means we're back on well water.  We both notice how drying it is to our skin, and I've got discolored fingers and nails again, from the excessive manganese.  Though we do collect warm up water, turn it off while brushing teeth, and follow the mellow rule in the bathroom, we could both do lots more to conserve.  I wish there were some way to track how much water we have in the tanks, but J says there's no way to do it.  He says an attached outside gauge would just freeze and break, or grow algae.  Needless to say, we're both looking forward to rain, and there looks to be a good chance midweek.  Hopefully, there will be enough to make a difference.  Thankfully, we have a separate rainwater tank for our drinking water, and it's still half full. 




After a soap delivery, I returned and picked up books and movies at the library, and got groceries.  Though the price of our dogfood has increased, it was on sale, and I purchased a couple of bags for $6 less than the new price.  I'm thankful it has remained in stock, as I've heard of some shortages of other pet foods.  I harvested mint, and dried it, as part of a Christmas gift.  Suet was made for the birds.   I'm not sure if it's the same across the country, but shortening has really gone up here.  I usually buy it at Aldi's, but have not seen any on the shelf this holiday season, which is usually when I can find it there.  Another hen has begun laying again, so we've actually had 2 eggs a few days, something we haven't seen in a while.  We've got some big, beautiful heads of broccoli that I'll soon begin harvesting.  I sauteed the last of the tromboncino with mushrooms, our onion, and all but the last two of our tomatoes.  A cube of frozen basil was added.  Orange skins were added to a pot on the woodstove, along with cinnamon pieces that were first used in making cranberry sauce, making the house smell cozy. 



 

While packing orders and wrapping soap, I listened to an On Being podcast with Jane Goodall.  What a beautiful human being she is.  J & I enjoyed a quick getaway, meeting dear friends at a historical Inn an hour away.  It was such a treat to spend time catching up, not to mention the dinner and breakfast we enjoyed in the French restaurant on site.   Before we went, I researched and found a tree farm in that town, so on the way home, after finding a few treasures at an antique store, we stopped and got our Christmas tree.  Service was great, the trees were all sitting in water, and the cost was $15 less than our local big box hardware, where all the trees are piled together and usually drying out.  After getting home Saturday, J got the tree inside.  We got all the Christmas boxes down from the attic, and put lights on it Sunday.  We need to pick up another string of lights, then will start decorating it.  It's a bit early for us to have a tree, but this seemed the best chance to have a healthy tree at a reasonable price.  Have you started any holiday preparations?


6 comments:

daisy g said...

Yes, hopefully we will get the predicted rain this week, so that those reservoirs can be refilled. Is there some sort of float you could put into the tanks to help determine the water level? I don't know what your set up is, but I'll bet J will figure something out.

Sounds like a wonderful getaway! You are really getting into the holiday spirit!

We have most of our decorations up, but we no longer buy a Christmas tree. We use a vintage ceramic one that my hubby's mom made back in the day. It's enough.

Hope y'all get some rain this week!

Laurie said...

I'll ask him about a float for the tanks. Is your ceramic tree the type that has all the little lights in it? My Mom made one of those too, and my sister has it.

daisy g said...

Yes, one of those ceramic trees with all the little bulbs on it.

Dollie White said...

Thank you for sharing your life with us. Please tell me what you do with all the seeds from the garlic chives pictured above. I love having those plants in the garden and use them almost daily in season, even the flowers in spring arrangements. But they produce more seeds than I can share or use. Many thanks for your blog. I too live in NC. Near Winston Salem, near the recently burned Pilot Mountain(such a sad sight].

Laurie said...

I'm in the same place as you, with having more seed that I can use or share, so just leave them for the birds. I lived in W-S in the late 80's to mid 90's, and was so sad to hear about Pilot Mt. I so appreciate your visiting and your comment.

Michèle Hastings said...

We desperately need rain! We really didn't get enough this weekend.
Your broccoli looks amazing. We can't seem to get big heads. Just small sprouts that have to be picked before they go bad. What is your secret?!
I don't do much holiday decorating anymore. I decorated our fireplace mantel at Thanksgiving. Once we get our holiday orders packed I will take out our little fake tree. I might get out some other decorations this year as my daughter is coming for New Years and we will have someone else to enjoy the décor!