Monday, November 29, 2021

November Days



Hello, friends.  Last week, I went by a nearby Hallmark after an appointment, got a free card, redeemed a $7 reward, and got a 20% senior discount on the remainder.  I then stopped at Harris Teeter, and found organic diced tomatoes 10/$10, so got 6.  Lettuce was harvested, then covered before a night in the low 20's.  Kale was also harvested.  I enjoyed watching the PBS series Manor House, which came from the library.  I've watched many similar series, and was happy to find this one.  While checking out at the library, there was a screen of their home page scrolling across from me, when I noticed something about videos on demand.  I had asked about this a few months ago, so was surprised to see we now have access.  I haven't had a chance to check it out, but it sounds like mostly HBO documentaries and PBS shows, which works for me.  I look forward to enjoying some of the free shows during these long nights.  The guy who picks up our trash let J know the bags from the fire came to just under a ton of refuse, and we settled up with him.  




A book I enjoyed last week was The Giver of Stars.  It's the second book I've read about the Packhorse librarians in rural Kentucky during the Depression.  I listened to an On Being podcast with Bryan Stevenson, who wrote Just Mercy, while wrapping soap, and that evening watched the movie from the library.  It hadn't been planned, and was just a happy coincidence.  The movie had been in my Amazon queue, but wasn't free, so I was happy to find it at the library.  When we bought the sweet potatoes, I also got some pears and plums.  The pears were lovely, but the plums were picked too early, and never ripened nicely.  To use them up, I made a GF vegan plum tart, which turned out better than expected.  I tried another recipe that used some of the riced cauliflower bought at the discount store, and we both liked it.  It was pretty simple, using our parsley and garlic, and lemon juice.  J drove to Charlotte, and picked up solar panels, so the solar project has begun.  He's been researching inverters and batteries.  We enjoyed two Thanksgivings, first with my family, and then with his on Saturday.  It was the first time we've all been together in a couple of years, and it was wonderful.  Wishing you a week of seasonal pleasures.  


4 comments:

daisy g said...

Thank you for the info about the books and movies. Sounds like something I would be interested in.

I noticed my lettuce is starting to do better. Grateful for anything I can pull out of the garden these days. Sounds like you still have an abundance.

Enjoy this chilly week! I hope you have scarves, gloves and ear warmers!

Laurie said...

I hope you enjoy the books and movie/shows. Yes, I definitely had my layers on for the walk this morning! Stay warm over there.

April said...

Reading your posts post-fire and appreciating your moving forward, seeing the beauty of the days, and just filling your days in meaningful ways.

Laurie said...

Thank you for your kind words, April.