Monday, July 13, 2020

Canning the Harvest & Frugal Accomplishments


Hello, friends.  Last week, I enjoyed a smoothie for one breakfast, and made vegi scrambles several other days.  Our squash was used in them, and peppers and green olives.  One day I added a few chanterelle mushrooms.  Another day I added a few sprigs of lambs quarter.  It's nice to be expanding my breakfast repertoire.  I harvested and canned cubed pickled beets.  Another day, I canned a mix of purple pole and red noodle beans. The purple beans turn green in boiling water, but the noodle beans hold their color, which is nice.  I originally bought cubed beets from Big Lots, and love them in salads, so thought I'd make my own.  I harvested lavender, cucumbers, zucchini, yellow and tromboncino squash, blueberries, purple pole beans and yard long beans.  The tomatoes are starting to ripen, cherry and the larger ones.  Oh my, you sure can't beat a home grown tomato.  I'm looking forward to having my first tomato sandwich this week.


I gathered eggs, and shredded paper and cardboard.  A pan of egg shells was crushed, and added to the compost bin.  I braided the majority of our red onions.  They're a little wonky, but they should work fine.  I mended 3 pairs of J's pants.  Yogurt was made.  I continue to walk with the pups for exercise.  One night, I made Italian squash with corn, focaccia with our red onion and rosemary, green beans, and cucumbers  in vinegar.  One cucumber got missed when I picked.  It was bigger than we like, so I cut it in half, and gave it to the chickens.  The pups are getting grated veggies every night, a mix which may include squash, cucumbers, apple, carrot and cabbage core. 


 Another hornworm and a few tomato worms were found in the garden, and given to the chickens, as well as lots of Japanese beetles.  Getting little in the way of greens right now, their yolks are paler, but they sure are getting plenty of protein.  I tried a new cabbage slaw.  Laundry was dried on the line.  I found a nickel.  Cucumbers, eggs and beans were shared with a friend.  Many orders were made and powder coated this weekend.  We had a really awful time with powder coating, for some reason.  Doing the same thing I usually do, most turned out splotchy, and had to be redone, one or two more than once.  J even redid some, and they were still splotchy.  We were beginning to think it was a bad batch of paint, but we used a different batch of paint, and still had issues.  We may just need to chalk it up to another 2020 challenge.  I'm seriously hoping we don't have a repeat of the issues the next time I paint.  It's enough work and time, without having to redo them. 


On the way to close up the chickens one evening, J saw a rainbow, and called me out to see.  I love the sense of hope in a rainbow.  This is the first year we've ever had to deal with deer in our garden.  We've been using a product called I Must Garden, recommended by someone who used to work in a garden store.  It seems to be helping.  I dug a few potato plants last week, and was pleased with the harvest.  We hope the remaining plants will match it.  A few of the lettuce have germinated.  We lost power during a storm one night, right at bedtime, so I began reading one of the books on my Kindle.  Wishing you a most lovely week.

7 comments:

daisy g said...

Another full week for you. Are you still mostly staying home?

I'm awaiting the first egg from our new chickens. Good to know about the greens.

Does the humidity affect the powder coating? It's been so thick the last few days, with more of it in store.

Hope your week goes smoothly!

Laurie said...

I am still mostly staying at home. Oh, I know that will be an exciting day when you get your first egg! Ours had deep orange yolks this spring, from all the greens. The chard and kale are coming along nicely, so I should soon be able to start giving them more greens again. We've powder coated when it's been threatening rain a few times, and they didn't get splotchy. It's a mystery.

Michèle Hastings said...

The beans look so pretty in their jars!

Tracey Broome said...

Your beans look great, we are a little behind on the beans this year, they are just coming in. I had one early batch, but still waiting on the rest. Our squash and zucchini are about done and I am about done with them to be honest, so I am looking forward to beans! Yes, summer tomatoes! I have a tomato sandwich every day, so I can think about them this winter:)

Laurie said...

Thanks, Michele and Tracey. I'm getting tired of beans already. They're so much more work than picking squash! I'm trying to be grateful, and trying to share them. Nothing beats a tomato sandwich.

Jeannie said...

I dug potatoes successfully for the first time this week. They have never grown bigger than a golf ball so I tried growing them in hay. It worked much better. We had our first one for dinner tonight along with a storebought one. I boiled them in the same water and each person had to do a taste test. The storebought ones were horrible compared to those freshly dug.
Our tomatoes are also coming in. Life is delicious in the summer.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Ah, homemade potatoes and tomatoes. Good stuff!