Monday, July 20, 2020

Bountiful Beans & Frugal Accomplishments



Hello, friends.  Last week, I had to head to town to meet a tradesperson.  While there, I ran to the bank, picked up a part for J, and got groceries.  I'd been trying to find canned corn for a good price, to make frozen treats for the chickens.  My frugal nature makes it hard for me to spend a dollar and a half for a can of corn, non-organic at that.  Aldi's had canned corn for .38 ea, limit 4, so I got 4.  I also got cans of organic black and pinto beans for .89, their regular price, but it seems prudent to stock up when it's available, in these times.  I got more .65 avocados too.  Food Lion had cherries for $1.99/#, one of my favorite fruits.  I also found mozzarella on manager's special, and made the first caprese salad of the year with it.  Nectarines were on sale for $1.49/#, the pups dogfood was $3 off, and organic milk was .29 off, so some decent deals this week.  Basil was harvested, and pesto enjoyed with pasta one night.


I made yogurt and hummingbird food.  I'm enjoying breakfast scrambles a few days a week.  I've found more chanterelles to add, lambs quarter, our squash and cherry tomatoes, along with store bought pepper and olives.  The hens have slowed down their egg production with the heat, but we're getting enough to manage.  I can't remember if I mentioned that several weeks ago, we pretty much decided all three chicks that hatched this spring are roosters, not the hens we were hoping for.  They were slower than most to develop their combs, and one or more is crowing.  I've not yet caught them at it, just heard it in the distance.  It's possible one is not, but two definitely are roosters.  Darn.  I'm bringing them all dock greens and some kale leaves.  The lettuce has germinated sparsely, but I'll be happy to get any.  We've gotten some rain this week, much needed with the high temperatures.  I finished the last of the online classes needed for renewing my massage license next month.  It's nice to have that behind me.


A friend came and picked noodle beans.  I also sent her home with cucumbers.   I'd been wanting a jar to put my homemade toothpaste and little spoon in.  On a recent visit to this friend's, I found the perfect one, which now keeps company with another pot they made.  Cucumbers and beans were shared with J's business partner.  I made yellow squash with kalamata olives.  J harvested apples from several trees, and dug a few more potato plants.  We need to get them all dug, as some had started to rot.  We replanted so many times, we were trying to give them as much time as possible, but it's time, as soon as we can get to it.  Some years ago, I noticed a volunteer autumn clematis underneath one of our pear trees, and thought, "a pretty flower... I'll plant it somewhere".  Well, I'm now thinking that was a poor choice, as it's a monster, taking over everything else in the bed.  I whacked it back one evening, along with cutting back a mum in the bed that was falling over with new growth, and pulling up volunteer passionflower vines.  I canned zucchini and tromboncino squash.


Peaceful homesteading videos were enjoyed on youtube.  On a walk one day, I looked up and saw this sweet bird's nest.  I'm not sure which bird makes this type of nest, with an entry hole on the side, but it made me smile.  Some of the found twine was used to make three more red onion braids.  J dug the sweet onions, and M cut the roots off the garlic, which allowed me to store them.  Various garden beds were weeded, though there's plenty more to do.  The elderberries are beginning to ripen.  I began a jar of tincture with them, and strained a batch of lemon balm tincture.  The turmeric has sprouted up.  The first round of lima beans was picked, and we ended up with 34 lbs to shell, which kept us up late one night.  Several youtube videos kept me entertained while I shelled.  I usually freeze them in meal sized portions, but with so many, I plan to can the majority of them.  What's in store for your week?

10 comments:

daisy g said...

So many good deals to stock up on! Do you just add water to the corn in ice cube trays? I've been giving our girls frozen zucchini and cucumbers, along with ice cubes in their waterer.

I'm a big fan of homesteading videos on YouTube. It's where you can find me on these scorching afternoons.

I am starting to dismantle the garden and writing a wish list of what I want in the new location. I think I want to build a small run for the chooks this week. I am awaiting their fencing and want to give them some space to roam in the meantime. How hard can it be? Thank God for YouTube!

Find the shade when you can, Laurie! We're only in mid-July! ;0D

Michèle Hastings said...

34 pounds of beans, wow! Our green beans are just starting to come in. If it is anything like last year we will soon be eating them every night.
I too spend a lot of time on youtube these days. I really enjoy watching painting and printmaking videos.

Laurie said...

Daisy, I add water when I need to, but the current brand has enough liquid to just use it. It's sad about your garden, but at least you can make this one just like you want it. Do you have favorite homesteading videos?

Yes, we have quite the bean row this year!

Beckyathome said...

My husband eats scrambled veggies and eggs every morning, so it's been nice to get garden bits for him to use. It sounds like you enjoy that, too.

When you can the tromboncini squash, what is your process? Do you do little chunks, shreds, mash it, slice it.....I know it would have to be pressure canned. The next question is what do you use it for? I have never done that before.

As a fellow gardener, I always love hearing about all your goodies that you grow. The red and green beans are especially striking in the jars.

Laurie said...

You're who gave me the idea for veggie scrambles, Becky! It has really expanded my breakfast repertoire. Thanks for that!

I can approx. 1/4" rounds of it, and cut the rounds in half if they're very large. I can it and zucchini in the same batch, whatever I have that day. I mostly use it for pasta sauce, but sometimes casseroles. A friend shared the pasta sauce, which I wouldn't have thought would be a great combination, but we love it: mostly squash with some tomato (fresh or home canned), onion, a good amount of basil and some rosemary. It's a nice change from the plain tomato sauce. I also make it with fresh squash, which takes longer to soften up. When fresh, I let the squash and onions cook a while before adding the rest. I also grate and freeze tromboncino/zucchini for tots and breads. I love seeing your garden goodies too.

Linda Starr said...

your canning below looks lovely, I looked up the nest and it's for a masked weaver, I'll have to look up what they look like now. I don't have enough flat land for a huge garden and what I do have is rocky beyond belief so we have raised bins

Linda Starr said...

ok the masked weaver lives in Africa, so it's not that, it's an oriole nest

Laurie said...

Interesting. Thank you!

Jeannie said...

I am bragging. I now have 2 tromboncino squash on the vine in the garden. Last year's vine only had male blooms so obviously no fruit. Do you ever pick yours when they are small or do you wait until they are large?
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

I pick them small and large. I mostly go by the fat end, and pick when it gets good size, but not large enough to get large seeds. Sometimes, that's when it's 7 or 8" long, sometimes it's 18". Yay for your tromboncino squash! I think our other summer squash is close to finishing up, but the tromboncino usually bear all summer.