Last week, I applied rock dust to the raspberries, some strawberries & two figs. Harvested a handful of raspberries every day, and the first few wild blackberries. Transplanted some native plants that had ended up in the middle of a path after some earthwork. J grilled on Memorial Day. He cooked pork loin for himself & M, baked potatoes, corn on the cob & vegetable kabobs. I made a marinade for portabella mushrooms for myself, and harvested mint for homemade ice cream. We also used our eggs and homemade vanilla in making the ice cream. After a week, I tried the kombucha I was trying to revive. It was still weak, but when I tried it again at 11 days, it tasted just right. I'm happy that was a success. I took a bag of last years zucchini out of the freezer and made bread with it. Took 2 bags of french toast out of the freezer for J's breakfast. Weeded a bit in the asparagus and beet beds. While weeding around our largest fig, I found 2 fruits on the tree I hadn't known were there, and am hoping we'll have many more! I'm joining in with the Frugal Accomplishments community.
I brought my water bottle while working in town. While there, I dropped off my pressure canner lid at the cooperative extension office, for them to do a free gauge check. Picked up a cardboard box to put in a garden path. Used my own bags at the grocery store, saving .20. I stopped by a thrift store to look for 2 things. I didn't find either, but got a hooded vest for .99. The eggplant I started from seed didn't do very well, so I bought some more while in town, & planted them with J. Applied nettle tea fertilizer to some recent transplants. Rooster #2 has been looking poorly, with his comb rather pale. When I noticed his tail feathers drooping, I separated him from the flock and he seems a bit better. I've added some poultry boost supplement to his scratch, gave him some of the nutritious chick food, and he has been eating the greens I bring him. He seems a bit off balance. I've always felt fairly helpless in figuring out what to do when a chicken appears sick. Most of the time, it's not easy to distinguish what their problem is, at least to me. Though I've researched online, it's still not clear. I may try a natural wormer product.
I cut a red, white & blue bouquet for Memorial Day. Our Buff hen that was broody is no longer... hooray! As I write this, mama hen has been sitting on eggs 12 days, & the two little chicks are growing and healthy. I gathered red clover blossoms for drying, & chocolate mint. I am trying a recipe I saw to make extract with it, so it is sitting and percolating on the pantry shelf. I think many years ago I tried baking with it, which was unimpressive. Otherwise, I've only added some of the fresh leaves to coffee grounds, which I enjoy. I typically drink that as cold coffee in the warm months. Made suet for the birds. I've been enjoying reading library books, especially Little Princes. J watched a couple of free movies on Amazon prime, but I didn't care for either, so read instead.
We were able to use some bricks, broken cinder blocks & rocks that were already here for a project, keeping us from having to buy anything and cleaning up too. I finished stripping the paint off the final porch post. J put it in place the next day. Oh happy day! I do have some furniture pieces I want to strip, now that I've gotten my feet wet, but I'm going to take a break first. I fertilized all the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, squash, potatoes & onions with a new to us product. If it works well, I'll share more about it. I harvested nettles for drying. Much of it has gone to flower, so I had to search for some younger plants to harvest. Some of our winter greens from last year volunteered in the onion patch, so I harvested those while weeding for the chickens.