Wednesday, June 8, 2016

A View From The Porch


As there have been a few questions about the new porch, I thought I would share a bit.  We sided the addition with rough sawn pine from a local sawyer, to match the rest of the house.  It's somewhat of a tradition in the South to paint porch ceilings "haint blue".  I did choose blue for the ceiling, though the shade was another name.  The porch posts still need to be sealed, likely with linseed oil.  I like vintage metal chairs, and would like to find one of the vintage metal gliders, or possibly an old church pew to add for seating.


We moved a small round table to the porch one recent night and enjoyed dinner on the porch, which was lovely.  In my first house, there was a room that was originally a porch, which I used as a meditation space.  I pulled up the ugly carpet and painted the concrete floor blue, then sponged clouds on it.  I was pleased with the results, and am thinking about doing the same with the porch ceiling at some point.   It would be a little tricky with all the divisions in this ceiling, so I'm pondering it.


Here's a view of our new walkway from the porch.  The walkway does help a great deal, but there is still a lot of mud getting tracked onto the porch, from all the other areas we regularly wander around the homestead.  It's been a very wet spring in our area.  But the new grass is coming up, and we're researching various possibilities for stepping stones to use on the other paths.  The plantings in the shade garden are still fairly small, but are coming along.  So there you have it, friends, the latest with the porch project.


3 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

nice- love a place to sit as the world runs past.
Lovely.

Laurie said...

Indeed it's nice to have such a place, Meredith.

Michèle Hastings said...

Such a beautiful space! I do miss having a porch in the house we are in now... someday.
Many of the porch ceilings are painted blue in New England too. It's a very soothing color.