Monday, July 15, 2013

The Visitors & the Old Man of the Woods


We looked towards the pond when the dogs began barking, and found 3 herons had come to visit.


I've made the mistake before of trying to slip outside to take photos, only to have them fly off, so this time I stayed put in the house.


I love the way the eryngium and passionfruit kind of appear to be framing this one.  You may need to enlarge it to see this.


There has been some progress made in the garden, though I expect it will never be the neatest of gardens this year, due to too many happy weeds.  I've picked the first few yellow squash.  Cucumbers and tromboncino squash look to be not far behind.





 The rain continues to fall. The last I heard, we were about 10 inches above average in rainfall for the year, and more rain has fallen since.



There have been many interesting mushrooms to catch my eye, like this Strobilomyces strobilaceus, or Old Man of the Woods.  I wish I were more knowledgeable about mushrooms, because there is a veritable potpourri of mushrooms out there I could be cooking with and drying for future use.  A passing knowledge of them is just not worth the risk.  I hope you're finding many good things to eat these summer days!

4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Herons,they have come to check out your pond for eats. I love watching them. What a summer this has been.
It looks like it rained here last night.

Laurie said...

There are plenty of frogs in the pond. We kept the dogs in the house, so we could watch them this time.

Stephanie said...

I love the herons. How nice that your new pond is attracting them and that you got some pictures. Thanks for sharing! :)

Laurie said...

Thanks for visiting and commenting, Stephanie!