Friday, September 7, 2012

Gelo Familia



The days have been full these past few weeks.  There was a family gathering of Mom and her brothers families over Labor Day weekend.  Eggplant and green beans from the garden have been canned.  A batch of apples were dehydrated.  I've started dehydrating pears and begun pear vinegar with the peelings and cores.


I recently found some new canister sets donated to a local thrift shop.  Enter a diamond drill bit, a carbon filter, and voila... new compost crocks in my shop



I've been wanting to ramp up my compost making for some time.  There are two compost bins chock full, so I asked Joseph to create a compost sifter for my birthday, and he obliged.  Now, which plants will get all that rich, organic bounty?  Have a wonderful weekend, friends!

4 comments:

JLK Jewelry said...

Hi Laurie! We have two pear trees that are loaded with pears. the hard old timey ones. Wes was just saying we should juice them. I am intrigued by your pear vinegar. Is it hard to do?

I have a stoneware canister that Pam made with a plastic tub sitting in it, that we use for our compost too.

If you need more pears, stop over!

JLK Jewelry said...

I saw the link below. I'm going to give it a try!

Laurie said...

Great, Jennie! It's easy peasy! The only thing it requires is patience :o)

JLK Jewelry said...

Patience, hummm. Well I'll have to give a go, on both counts:)