Friday, October 7, 2011

The Fall Garden

There hasn't been a lot of posting going on here lately.  The days have been full, and I've been making a conscious effort to minimize my computer time.  The down sides are- I miss keeping up with my blogging friends and their lives, and my inbox is perpetually messy.  But there have been hours in the garden. 
There has been harvesting, cooking, shelling, and preserving.  Not near enough weeding, and no watering to speak of, but all the food I can keep up with nonetheless.  Some things are winding down, but I'm still picking tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, lima beans, okra, raspberries, and squash.  I've gathered and dried lemon balm, chocolate mint, Kentucky Colonel mint, lemon verbena, catnip and passionflower for teas.  There's a batch of shiso, and one of  tummy blend- lemon balm, peppermint and catnip being made into medicinal tinctures.  A batch of nettle tincture was strained and bottled yesterday.  I've been working on cleaning a batch of red sumac for zaater.


There have been walks with the dogs most every day.

This rose, Angel Face, has the most wonderful fragrance.  We've been enjoying one on our kitchen table this week  The color seems to have shifted to a redder hue since it first flowered.
My niece, Heather, has been telling me about Pinterest.  While researching a new project this week, I came across a lovely blog that had a link.  Oh my, I can see another way I could be easily sucked into computer time.  So many wonderful things being shared there.  Have a lovely day and a wonderful weekend, friends!

4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

there is something about the fall light that draws one outside to enjoy it.
I was locked to paper work and then Mark tells me how wonderful the day is - I felt cheated and had to go out.
Lovely post and pictures

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you have been enjoying your time in some wonderful ways. Great to be outside during the lovely weather we've been having. Peace, Stephanie

Mrs. Mac said...

Same storing away food supplies going on at our place .. Autumn walks are the best .. especially with little whiffs of burning leaves in the air.

Jennifer said...

oh,it all sounds wonderful. more walks and less screen time sounds like a good plan to me.

I found Pinterest too and I actually find it relaxing to go there, it's my numb my mind out time.

just saw you said about not being able to comment over at my blog, hope i can figure that out, thanks for letting me know.

happy weekend.