Monday, October 28, 2024

Fall Colors


Hello, friends.  Groceries seemed especially high this week, even with my 5% senior discount.  There was very little on sale, among the things I needed, much of it fresh produce.  I did find organic crushed tomatoes on the markdown shelf, for $2, and got four of those.  I do hope prices will not continue going up, as they have been lately.  As the green tomatoes ripen, I'm freezing them, until I have enough to can.  I caught up on some YouTube channels I follow, while wrapping soap for the B&B.  J and I went to town for early voting.  There was a steady stream of people, but we were able to get in and out quickly.  I've really been enjoying the Fall colors this week.  



Joseph readied the ground, and planted our garlic.  He also tilled up a plot for me.  It's late, but I planted carrots, beets, a small kale patch, and a blend of bird and butterfly wildflowers my stepson gave me.  In other spots, I planted a blend of shade garden seeds.  The carrot varieties included Tendersweet, Danvers, Danvers Half Long, and Scarlet Nantes.  Some of the carrot seeds were saved from our garden.  Beets were Detroit Dark Red and Golden.  There's no frost in the 15 day forecast, so maybe they'll at least have time to germinate.  Peas, lima beans, green beans and kale were harvested from the garden.  




With a forecast of 80 on Saturday, I decided to give the pups baths, as I'm sure it won't be long before we shut the outdoor shower down for the season.  As I hadn't seen any in several weeks, the hummingbird feeders were taken down and scrubbed.  We ended up getting 3/8" of rain Saturday night.  It wasn't enough to begin using it in the house again, but we're thankful it helped water in the seeds and garlic we planted.  Greens of dock and kale were gathered for the chickens most days.  A pot of small sweet potatoes was placed on the woodstove, to simmer for the pups.  It's beginning to feel like the cozy season.  Stay well, friends.



6 comments:

Jane said...

Love the picture of the nasturtiums and leaves, Laurie. You are busy. I'm grateful that we live where the weather doesn't permit us to grow a late garden. By this time of the year, I don't want anything to do with a garden. Groceries are certainly getting pricier. I don't believe butter will ever come down to a decent price and pretty much have crossed it off the list.

Hugs
Jane

daisy g said...

We still get good deals at Publix. We stock up when things are "Buy One, Get One Free", and find that that helps quite a bit. Cooking from scratch does save a lot in the budget. I eat simple meals and made some gf cornbread and carrot ginger soup yesterday. It really hit the spot.
The fall colors are so wonderful. It is so motivating to walk among them and feel the coolness of the fresh air. I hope to get outside today to plant some sedums and Johnny Jump Ups.
Our garlic came up in 6 days! No doubt the rain you got will foster that germination. I want to get some more kale and lettuce planted before first frost.
Hoping you, Joseph and the critters have a peaceful and productive week!

Andrea said...

Hi! It's hopeful that you got a little rain. I hope more comes soon. We haven't had any yet. Your leaves look so pretty. Ours are mainly yellow. I read that's what happens during a drought. I just planted my garlic bulbs a week ago, I was hoping I wasn't too late. So I'm glad to see you are planting now. I think groceries are inching up slowly. But I agree, now it is starting to be more noticeable. We just had 31 degrees last night! andrea

Laurie said...

I can understand being "over" gardening this time of year, though the fresh greens are awfully nice. I hope you'll run across a great bargain on butter this holiday season.

Laurie said...

I shopped at Publix while visiting relatives in FL some years ago, but not since, as they're all over an hour away, and not in places I frequent. I'll keep that it mind, though, in case I find myself in one of those towns. Scratch cooking is good in so many ways, for sure. Your cornbread and soup sounds yummy. J has requested lentil soup tonight. It's a great time of year for it. I hope you were able to get your planting accomplished.

Laurie said...

I used to follow a local friend's suggestion, who planted her garlic on the winter solstice (Dec. 21), and harvested on the summer solstice. I did that for a number of years, and always had good garlic, but we now try to get it in the ground earlier. Stay warm and cozy!