Monday, December 12, 2022

Good Deeds



Hello, friends.  Last week, I cooked a bag of our frozen lima beans with onion and garlic, along with brown rice, and fried up some of our sweet potatoes.  A pot of smaller sweet potatoes was boiled for the critters.  Suet was made for the birds, and golden paste for the pups.  I finished up the toothpaste tube I had cut open, which lasted more than two weeks.  I forgot to mention last week, I used our last little tomato in a salad.  It's pretty nice to be eating our tomatoes until the end of November.  You may have heard about the county in NC that had a power outage, due to vandalism of two substations.  That county borders ours.  It was good to see all the businesses and churches that offered food, water, charging and warming stations, and shelter.



Isn't that a pretty moth, seen in the garden last week?  Lettuce and mixed winter greens were harvested for salads, and our small potatoes were steamed.  I tried a new MM friendly salad dressing, which I enjoyed.  When we received our telephone bill, there was a credit of $11.76 for internet service, lowering our bill.  We were one of the first in the area to get fiberoptic, as we were putting in our studio addition when they first started rolling it out.  We had to move the phone connection then, and were offered fiberoptic.  We're hoping the price has come down, as so many more are now connected to it.  In any case, it sure is nice to have a bill go down, rather than up, even if it's just this once.  I redeemed Swagbucks for a $25 gift card, which I'll be using for a gift, and received $6 in digital Amazon credits, for allowing slower shipping.  




J has been hard at work on the sewing room.  All the trim molding is up, and the painting finished.  Now that he's painted the new window trim outside, to match what we already had, I can wash the windows.  He's been pondering what to use as a threshold.  Like most of our house, it's a bit quirky, and we need a larger than usual threshold.  He brought two pieces of lumber we had on hand in the house to dry, but the first cracked, and the other warped.  He mentioned he had been looking for a threshold when customers came by his shop.  It turns out one of the men had a piece of dried white oak that he gave J, because at some point, J had given him a piece of metal, so his good deed came back to him at the perfect time.  Soapmaking oils were melted on the woodstove, to save propane.  A piece of my juicer was beginning to stick, so I followed J's advice to spray with a vinegar solution, followed by a soapy solution, and it moves perfectly smoothly now.  



Besides the usual Berkey stands to powder coat this week, there was an antique light we're refurbishing for a neighbor.  I think it's turning out nicely.  I gathered the few fall items I'd decorated with, took them to the attic, and brought down the gift wrapping supplies and mailbox bow.  The rest will have to wait until we're able to move the sewing machines into the new room, and straighten out the studio.  We hoped to find a tree, after meeting friends at a winery over the weekend, but there were none to be had in that town.  However, getting to visit with them did my heart good.  My sister and I visited a cidery Friday, and had a great time visiting as well.  The cidery had lost power in the outage mentioned above, so supporting them when they reopened felt good.  We made an unplanned stop at a thrift store we passed, but didn't find anything we needed there.  The coming week will be mainly focused on wrapping gifts, and planning and preparing food for the gatherings we'll be attending.  I hope your days are filled with people and things that bring you joy.


6 comments:

daisy g said...

There are so many good souls out there, helping others. It's unfortunate that someone's hatred affected so many innocent lives.

You are really getting out and about lately! Glad your sister is so close by.

Peace to you this week, my friend.

Laurie said...

The world is full of so many good souls. May those lights keep shining. I'm so thankful for my sister, and that she's less than an hour away. Have a beautiful week!

Staci D said...

Enjoying the last homegrown tomato is always a little bittersweet, isn't it? Such a blessing to have enjoyed them for so long!

I wondered if you were near that county that lost power. It was a horrible thing that happened and so nice to see many stepping up to help out.

I agree that it is always wonderful to have a bill go down, no matter how much/little, rather than up! Our vision and dental insurance went down by cents per month for 2023 and I was so happy!

What a nice surprise with the oak for the threshold. I love when things work out like that.

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Laurie said...

Glad to hear you had a bill go down too! I got a letter today, and they actually have decreased the price of internet for the coming year. I'm happy to belong to our local phone co-op. You have a great week too!

Jeannie said...

A bill that went down!? Really? I have never heard of such a thing and certainly haven't seen it in my lifetime!
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

It did go down, though just $5 a month. We'll take it!