Monday, May 2, 2022

Garden Days




Hello, friends.  Last week, our native Atamasco lilies and fringe trees began blooming.  I hand washed several wool items, hoping I won't need them again until Fall.  I contacted Swagbucks about points I didn't receive for a purchase, equivalent to $3.69, and they made it right.  I took photos and listed an item in my shop.  With several days in the 80's, I closed up the house in the morning until it began cooling off in the evenings, and haven't used any a/c yet.  We're supposed to hit 86 a couple of days next week, and I expect it will be turned on then.  I mulched four of the garden beds with hay.  J worked up the rows, and planted sweet potatoes.  I mended 3 wool sweaters.  I got my summer clothes boxes down from the attic, and wanted to be sure those sweaters were ready when I packed up the winter things.  For a business purchase on ebay, I went through Swagbucks for 1% back.  



The chicks were moved into the little broody area of the coop, where on warm days, they can get outside.  A hen or two showed a little interest in them, but didn't want to mama them, so we've pretty much given up on that hopeful idea.  For salads, I gathered lettuce, chickweed, catbrier tips, and dandelion greens, which I was recently reminded is possibly the best plant source of probiotics.  I went to a free Excel class offered at the library.  I knew some of the basic things, but wanted to expand my knowledge, which this did.  Thanks to a reminder from Patsi, comfrey was harvested, and a bucket of "tea" was started, to be used as fertilizer once it works a bit.  I melted soapmaking oils on the woodstove, saving propane, probably the last time of the season.  Our daughter sent a beautiful early Mother's Day bouquet.




Thirteen of the lettuce started from seed were planted in the garden, and wintersown poppies were planted around the new crabapple.  The two wintersown artichokes were planted, along with parsley and cilantro.  Before throwing away a well-used sponge, I wiped down baseboards and the trash can with it.  J tilled up another row for tomatoes, and planted them, including some I had started from seed.  I provided minimal help in moving our trellis to another spot in the garden, as the tromboncino didn't do well in the somewhat shady spot it was in last year.  I planted squash seeds, our own and store bought tromboncino seeds, and cucuzzi seeds, which is a Sicilian variety and one my Mom used to talk about.  The bed with dye plants was cleaned up.  Strawberries were weeded, and some runners were chopped from the mother plant.  Shortly after I was working in the strawberries, J saw a large king snake in them, which we both watched slither away.  



Doing my best to make sure we don't have food waste, we had a meal of leftovers on Saturday.  Wintersown cilantro, parsley and artichokes were planted in the garden, using some of our compost.  I enjoyed free music on Pandora, and listened to podcasts while working in my studio.  Laundry was dried on the line.  Paper and cardboard were shredded, and a pan of crushed egg shells were added to the compost bin.  Much of Sunday was spent gardening.  J planted cucumbers and hoed the sweet potato rows, and I planted many things in anticipation of rain. These included yarrow, spilanthes, blue sage, coleus, thyme, stevia, and maxima rudbeckia.  J grilled a yummy meal, the first of the year, using our potatoes and asparagus.  From our gardens to yours, happy May!


7 comments:

daisy g said...

wow, you got a lot of gardening done. My sweet potato slips won't be ready for a while, so you'll be way ahead of me. It sure would be nice if some of this rain we keep getting promised would come our way. We are DRY.

Enjoy this week outside before the heat of summer takes over!

Jeannie said...

Sounds like you have been working hard! Two of my boys visited this past weekend and I sent them home with huge amounts of greens from the garden (of course, they got all of the leftovers also). My kale is bolting so I stirfried a large amount and sent that for their meals this week. Today I plan on trying to freeze it for later use. I don't make smoothies so it will take some experimenting to learn how I like them. Their flavor is beginning to change. I miss the winter sweetness.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

Laurie said...

Daisy, we used to start our own slips, but have been buying them the past few years, sometimes supplementing with our own starts. We've had issues getting them to sprout well for us. We too are missing the rain that people all around us are getting lately. We got enough to wet the bottom of the rain gauge on Sunday, where others nearby got an inch or more. Let's hope later this week brings us both some.

Jeannie, I harvested kale last evening, and tried a new pesto recipe, which we both liked. It used the last of our '21 frozen basil cubes, parsley and kale for greens. That's excellent your boys appreciate greens too.

April said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Laurie said...

Your kind words are always appreciated.

Michèle Hastings said...

You have been busy! The flowers are beautiful. We got a little behind in gardening this year. I finally planted flower seeds on Tuesday, about two weeks later than usual. We are happy to be enjoying lots of lettuce, parsley, and a little asparagus.

Laurie said...

Homegrown lettuce, parsley and asparagus are something to be happy about!