Monday, February 14, 2022

A GF Bread Fail & Outdoor Time



Hello, friends.  The first signs of spring on the way showed up last week.  On a quick run to the grocery store, I found dogfood on sale at $6 off, and asparagus for $2.29/#.  While wrapping soap and stand orders, I listened to a couple of On Being podcasts, which were wonderful.  If you enjoy uplifting and insightful podcasts, I highly recommend this one.  Laundry was dried on the line.  I tried an off brand of veggie burgers bought at Aldi's some time ago, which I didn't love.  Realizing they would likely continue to sit in the freezer, I decided to defrost the remaining three on different days, and feed them  to the pups.  A little more room in the freezer, and a little less kibble needed for their dinner is a win in my book.  



I tried a new recipe for vegan GF pumpkin bread, which truly was quite awful.  It had no flour, but used unground oats as the dry base.  It'll be eaten, but I can't say it will be with great pleasure.  In the meantime, I found another recipe that sounds much better, based on what I know now.  Being new to GF eating, and having found no breads so far that I consider good, it's been a bit of a learning curve for me.  The sourdough starter is slowly making progress, making some nice bubbles at times.  It doesn't seem quite up to speed for baking yet, but I'm hopeful.




There were some lovely warmer days last week.  On one of them, I planted peas.  I've had the packet of Alaska peas for several years, and have been waiting for some new seeds, which haven't yet arrived.  Another day, I helped J run wire from the solar array to the battery bank.  He also added a grounding rod, so we don't have to worry about lightning now.  After helping him, I pruned many of our fruit trees.  There are more warm days forecast in the next two weeks, so I'm hopeful I'll finish that up, and be able to move on to other outdoor chores.   I made another round of vegan southern fried cabbage, but this time, I made the vegan bacon that goes with it.  I thought it was great, though J wasn't a fan.  That's OK; more for me.  Another night, I used our cabbage and potatoes in a vegan version of colcannon.  It wasn't as good as the heavy cream and butter version, but still tasty.  The eyes were cut, and are drying for use in our garden.



The basket shows a usual week around here, with a constant stream of empty jars to return to their storage spot, awaiting their next filling.  I'm pleased with how well the lid remover I recently bought seems to work.  The test will be when I try reusing them for canning, but I believe it will work well.  I'll definitely report back, once I try it.  In addition to emptying jars, I continue pulling from the freezer, with lima beans, broth and sweet peppers being some of what I used last week.  On Friday, J & I had an early Valentine's date.  We enjoyed a lovely dinner at the restaurant we gathered with family and friends after our wedding ceremony.  It's been almost five years now.  As always, the food and service were excellent.  On our way there, we passed by our library, and stopped to pick up the books and DVD I had on hold.  Sending wishes that love surrounds you this Valentine's Day, friends.  

  

7 comments:

daisy g said...

Sounds like a productive week. Sorry some of your recipes weren't to your liking. I'm not sure if I ever told you about Deland Bread. It is what those of us here use who are avoiding gluten. The label does not say "gluten-free" per se, but there is no gluten in the list of ingredients. My boy has been eating it for years with no issues. Whole Foods may carry it near you. We usually get the millet special or the oat bread. Da best!

Isn't it nice to revisit places you haven't been in a while? Sounds like you enjoyed your date night. I'm just not there yet. Still don't feel like venturing out much. This too, shall pass...eventually.

Enjoy these glorious winter days!

Laurie said...

I don't remember Deland bread. Wish I had a Whole Foods closer than an hour away! I'll keep it in mind. Thanks, Daisy!

daisy g said...

We get ours from a small health food store about 45 minutes away. Our town doesn't have a health food store, only fast food restaurants! You might call around your area to see if anyone carries it.

Laurie said...

I expect to be near a co-op later this week, and will check there. Thank you!

Beckyathome said...

I like the Canyon Bakehouse 7-grain bread. We can buy it at Walmart here in Oregon. I have no idea if it is available across the country or regional, but it tastes better than many.

I find when I make gluten-free products, I tend to be happier with a combination of flours from grains and starches. I use the Bob's Red Mill 1-1 flour a lot in recipes I used to use with all-purpose flour. I like the Pamela's Pancake Mix for making pancakes, obviously, but also for muffins and other baked goods occasionally. I like the Pamela's flour for bread when I make bread occasionally. I've tried mixing my own flours, with varied success. But, in the end, it all comes down to which flours/starches/nut flours/etc. a person can tolerate. I'm fortunate in that gluten is my trigger--not the other things, except for the excessive carbs in the starches which can really raise my blood sugars. But, I don't get sick, per say...I have friends who have to be so much more careful. Good luck finding your perfect favorite combos!

Laurie said...

Thanks for all these suggestions, Becky. The issue I have is with the texture more than the taste. I'm pretty sure I've tried the Canyon brand, but didn't love the texture. I do use Bob's 1:1, plus have most of the individual flours for recipes. I will look for Pam's mix. My sourdough starter attempt just seems to be languishing. It will make some bubbles, but has never doubled in size, or much at all. Thanks for taking the time to share.

April said...

Friday we headed south (way south) for an important family event, and as we crossed from SC into Georgia, I saw daffodils blooming at the "Leaving South Carolina" marker. No such goings on up north; it was 20 with ice everywhere the morning we left.