Monday, April 8, 2019

Cows For Neighbors & Frugal Accomplishments


Hello, friends.  In making a purchase for our small business last week, I went through ebates and also signed up to get the veteran's discount for J, saving 6.5%.  After an annual vet visit for one of the pups, I washed and hung two loads of laundry on the line, powder coated two orders, then weeded one of my large herb beds.  Still not done, but it's better than it was, and the chickens got two buckets of weeds to rummage through.  For a dinner, I baked sweet potatoes and made kale salad with our vegi's, and sauteed some mushrooms to go along.  Another night was pasta with sauce made from our vegi's and herbs.


It was J's birthday last week.  He requested a German chocolate cake.  I've not made enough layer cakes to get good at it, and mine always turn out a bit wonky, so I made a sheet cake instead.  Both of us tend to prefer less sweetness in our desserts, so with icing only on the top instead of also in between layers, it suited us better too.  The recipe used lots of eggs, which was good, as we have plenty.  A dozen eggs were shared with a friend.  I requested two books from the library, and picked them up on Tuesday.  While in town, I ran by Walgreens, and got their 20% senior discount on Easter cards.  I also picked up a print that I got for .23 after using a 40% off code.  I redeemed a $5 reward at checkout.


A basket of carrots, along with two beets, were harvested.  We'll eat most of the carrots with hummus or in salads.  The smallest ones will be grated for the pups dinners, or be added to the broth bag.  We shipped several orders last week, and have new orders to make another two, of which we're very appreciative.



A dear friend and I had a weekend road trip.  As we both turned 60 not long ago, she determined this would be the year of our "60th mystery tour".  We've already been to three concerts, and have tickets for another.  Besides going to see music over the weekend, we shopped at thrift stores, discount groceries and the farmer's market, visited a nursery, and ate very well.  Our bnb had cows.  There were several young calves, and we enjoyed having them for neighbors.  When we arrived back at my friend's home, she dug up several money plant volunteers, which J & I planted when I got home.  Wishing you a wonderful week!

6 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Sounds like you and your friend are going to have some fun adventures this year!!
We have a bunch of money plants in an overgrown area in the backyard. Last year Jeff dug some up and put them in the front flower bed. I am enjoying their purple flowers this Spring.

Laurie said...

I do love a good adventure! I've been trying to get money plants started here for a number of years. I do hope these will take hold and flourish.

cookingwithgas said...

It's going to be a great year! I thought maybe you had bought a cow!
Girl, I remember us as younger.....

cookingwithgas said...

You can not be 60! I remember you turning 50, like last year, wasn't it last year?!

Laurie said...

Ha! We just added another concert to our "tour"! 60 it is, and it's pretty good!

Jeannie said...

My husband and I ate out this week, (we were waiting for the car to be repaired. Ugh) and he asked if there was a Senior Discount. We received a discount of $1.00 off each meal. I told him I wasn't sure where to be happy that we saved $2.00 or sad that they didn't ask for identification. He said we should be sad because we qualify for the discount.
Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry