Hello, friends. As the wood stove won't be in use much longer, I decided to take advantage of that free source of heat. A quart of homegrown dried crowder peas was put on the wood stove top, along with 3 gallon bags of vegetable scraps for stock. Another pot of water for canning was heated too. Later in the week, the forecast was for 80, but on Monday it was a rainy morning with a high of 50, so I decided to do some canning while the heat would be more appreciated. The #10 can of black olives I got in Asheville was recanned, giving me 16 half pint jars to add to the shelf.
While watching the canner, I prepped dinner. There was enough butternut squash for two crumbles, so I froze half for a future meal. As I prepped, I added the vegi bits to the broth pot on the wood stove... squash skins and ends, mushroom and garlic ends, asparagus bottoms and herb stems. I had frozen some homegrown thyme and parsley, and used that in the crumble. During the night, I realized I'd forgotten to add reishi mushroom to the broth, which I love for all it's benefits, so did that. The broth was canned the next day, adding 5 1/2 pints to the pantry. I reused the water the canning rings were boiled in to boil eggs once it cooled.
I recently noticed the large rhubarb was putting forth a bloom. I've never had one grow large enough to do that, so I'm pretty excited about it. I did some research and found I need to cut it: "The flower head that comes up from rhubarb plants should be removed immediately when you first observe it... to maintain and ensure the highest quality and maximum yield from your rhubarb garden, it is important that the plants not be allowed to go to seed." Good to know. I did cut it, and saved some stem and the tender part of the stalk to do something with.
I forgot to mention I left two books in the little free library, when I dropped off a soap delivery last week. I didn't see any books that interested me, so didn't pick up any. After turning a lotion bottle upside down, there was still quite a bit left in the bottle. I added some water, and was able to use the rest of it. I enjoyed season 2 of Victoria on Netflix, and the movie Breathe through Amazon Prime. Laundry was done with homemade soap, and hung on the line. I made an apple pie from filling canned in January. Asparagus was harvested several days. I've been working on my pumice stones at Whynot Pottery. Most were put in the kiln on Friday, and fired over the weekend. I've been told they came out wonderfully, and can't wait to see them.
|dyed with cedar rust fungus, no mordant|
|dyed with cedar rust fungus and iron|