Sunday, December 10, 2017

Sweetness & Seasonal Pleasures



Hello, friends.  Last week, I went by the natural co-op I'm a member of while in that town for an appointment.  No earth shattering deals there, though I did buy some organic beans on sale.  I did see a half gallon of heavy cream marked down to $5.99, about half price, due to expiring that date or the next, but I wasn't sure what I'd do with it, so left it.  Part of one of our cabbages went into a cabbage and noodle dish, when I got in from work one night.  In the chapel where I do massage work, I found three full taper candles in the trash, which I took home.


It's been another whirlwind of a week.  There was a bit of snow and sleet Friday and Saturday. We spent a large part of the last two days driving, taking care of some business, attending a Christmas family dinner several hours east, and spending time with our granddaughter.  She had her first sleepover with us, which went well.  She and I baked cookies, wrapped a present for her great grandmother, read books, collected eggs, did her first bit of hand sewing, and we all visited a Christmas village, which included a train ride.  We wish we had more influence in her life.  I hope the time she spends with us will instill good values, memories and a few helpful skills.


A few steps into my walk Sunday morning, I found this bit of sweetness on the ground.  A bird nest made primarily of lichens, a couple of my favorite things.  The elements have taken their toll on it, but it felt like a gift even so.  Asian slaw made from our cabbage was brought to the family dinner.  Sunday breakfast of our scrambled eggs, tomatoes and garlic was enjoyed with toast.  We're still eating up some small tomatoes picked green from the garden, a real pleasure in December.  I hope you are well, and enjoying whatever seasonal pleasures bring you happiness.

4 comments:

Robert said...

I live with three of my grandchildren and there is never enough time to spend with them. My grandson who is soon to be seven asked me the other day what kinds of things I did with my grandmother growing up. I thought for a while and said we would cook, bake, garden, and go on outings mostly to parks. He said just like you and me ! That really touched my heart he does remember the things we are doing.

Laurie said...

Thank you for commenting, Robert. My granddaughter is 7, soon to be 8. It sounds like you are making some wonderful memories for your grandchildren.

christine said...

You can make butter from heavy cream. You don't have to have a churn. You can make it in a jar. Something fun to do with your granddaughter. You can sing songs as you shake the jar. Lots of fun.

Laurie said...

Thanks, Christine. Butter is a great idea! I knew I'd probably be sorry I left it. I will keep that in mind if I ever see any again.