Sunday, March 24, 2019

Mid March & Frugal Accomplishments



Hello, friends.  I finished putting everything away from our gathering on Monday.  A load of laundry was done, and hung on the line.  Paperwork was worked on for two of our businesses.  A few soaps were wrapped, enough to take into town to restock one of the galleries. The first hummingbird food of the year was made, and feeder hung.  Some good grocery deals were 5/$4 cans of organic beans, $1 for 28 oz organic fire roasted tomatoes, and .89 avocados.  I also bought a good amount of organic produce at a co-op, including mangoes, minneola tangelos, and red bartlett pears on sale.  They always ask if you want a receipt.  I declined, and don't remember prices.  While heading to the compost bin, I found a sweet little bird's nest.  I've added it to my little nature windowsill, which in theory is for our granddaughter, but I expect I get at least as much pleasure from it.


I pulled a bag of maitake mushrooms and two of shredded zucchini from the freezer.  The zucchini went into fritters.  A friend and I went to a concert by these fine folks.  The concert was free, as they'd just released an album, but an annual $5 membership was paid to the venue, and a donation happily given for a fantastic evening of music.  The food available was barbecued pork, so I brought a salad for my dinner.  I'm still trying to eat lots of salads, though some days I do better than others.  An Eat To Live salad dressing that I'm enjoying is his Walnut Vinaigrette:

1 clove garlic
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup water

Blend all in a high speed blender and enjoy.  So far, I've been subbing oregano for the thyme, and it's great.


After J's shop closed up a bit early on Friday, we did some garden clean up, removing all the tomato cages, rebar and wood posts.  We usually have it done before now, but it's been so wet for so long, it's taken longer this year.  On Saturday, I chopped all the remaining pruned kiwi vines, and put them around a nectarine, two peaches and a goji berry.  Between us, we finished pruning the last of the grapes.  I pruned the last apple tree.  J planted onions and shallots, and heeled in the last of the potato sprouts.  He also planted some tomato, eggplant and pepper seeds.  These were put in a repurposed truck toolbox that he recently put sweet potatoes in to sprout.  We're always experimenting in the garden.   We went through our seeds, and don't need any this spring.


Several mornings, I used mixed frozen berries from last year's garden in my oatmeal.  A few weeks ago, I'd mentioned J checking at a local restaurant he frequents for lunch for olive oil for soapmaking.  The owner ordered a case for me, and though it was a bit more than I'd been paying, he was willing to barter for soaps, which makes it work for me.  J brought the first soaps to him, and the next day he was raving about them, saying I had a lifetime customer, which is a lovely thing.  He and his lady friend had tried the shaving soap and one or two others.  I'd been pondering and praying about if soapmaking was something I was to continue to do, as the profit is minimal.  I'm going to take this endorsement as a sign to continue, which makes me happy, as it is something I enjoy doing.


I was happy to see many honeybees on one of our pear trees.  Every year, I try to plant more things for the pollinators.  They're pretty important for the planet and for gardeners.  Lettuce was harvested for salads.  Now that we're not having rain every day, I've started saving warm up water again.  I've used the water in the wood stove humidifier and for the pups water.  Laundry was hung out on the line two days this week.  Eggs are still bountiful, and some were shared.  Some windows were opened most days for fresh air.  I used up mushroom leftovers with eggs for a breakfast.  I zested an organic tangelo and put it in the freezer for future recipes.  Two movies were enjoyed on Netflix.


On Sunday, after house cleaning chores, I hand washed a sweater and all the pine cone dyed items.  J welded up 4 orders, which I then cleaned up and painted.  The new powder coat painting system is such an improvement over spray painting.  For dinner, I tried an Eat to Live vegi burger recipe, which used our parsley, basil, oregano and lambs quarter, along with other pantry items.  We both agreed they weren't wonderful.  I pulled broccoli from the freezer, and we used up a couple of leftovers, so there's that at least.  I planted 3 types of lettuce and swiss chard in containers to plant out later.  I'm enjoying these warmer days.  Have you been able to plant anything recently?

1 comment:

terricheney said...

Thank you for posting that lovely photo of your violets. I'd give much to have some here. Just love them!